Yannick Magnon, General Manager of Amcor Capsules noted: “TRANSPARENCE is a strong commitment that directly supports Wine and Spirits brands and distributors. It is our commitment to continue to offer stronger sustainable solutions in the future, with corresponding environmental impacts and improvements independently verified and certified in the most transparent way. With such a public pledge, we aim to build trust and understanding, and improve standards of sustainability in our industry.”
The TRANSPARENCE sustainability programme builds on three strategic pillars – REDUCE, RECYCLE, RESPECT.
REDUCE: Amcor Capsules is committed to reduce its carbon footprint by 18% by FY25, compared to FY20. Key initiatives include:
• Working closely with its aluminium suppliers to integrate further recycled aluminium.
• Contributing to the Amcor Group commitment to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050 (SBTi commitment). This aligns with the IPCC’s recommendations of limiting global warming to 1.5°C.
• Reducing the use of secondary packaging. For example, Amcor Capsules already partners with some of the biggest champagne houses to reuse their packaging to limit the use of secondary packaging. RECYCLE: In 2018, Amcor Group was the first packaging company to commit to develop all its packaging to be recyclable or reusable by 2025. Today, 96% of Amcor Capsules’ portfolio is already recycle-ready.
• Research and development teams at Amcor are working to convert the remaining 4% of our products into recycle-ready solutions.
• All new product developments contain a strong eco-design framework.
• Amcor systematically works with independent third parties to certify the recyclability credentials of all categories of products.
RESPECT: Amcor Capsules ensures that respect for the planet shapes its roadmap. All Amcor Capsules Plants send zero production waste to disposal and are located near historic wine and spirits production areas, ensuring better respect of the transportation chain.
• Amcor ensures that every party of its supply chain is respected. Throughout the year, Amcor discloses safety and sustainability data related to their operational footprint at the request of customers, investors, ratings agencies, and the broader public. These platforms include EcoVadis and SEDEX. Amcor holds the EcoVadis Gold Certification. This certification, based on four criteria (Environment, Labour & Human Rights, Ethics and Sustainable Procurement) recognises Amcor as part of the top 5% of companies evaluated.
TRANSPARENCE is a live and continuous improvement sustainability programme designed to support and benefit Wine and Spirits brands and distributors. It will be delivered in close collaboration with Amcor Capsules’ partners and third parties, and it will be regularly updated with progress, achievements, and new objectives.
For more information, visit: https://www.amcor.com/insights/blogs/transparence-sustainability-program